Middleton band are serious about safeguarding and take every opportunity to ensure we provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all our members, in particular, our youth members and any vulnerable members and are firmly committed to ensuring safe working practices.
We are currently working on Brass Bands England's 'Band Safe' initiative which is a self-assessment tool for brass bands to ensure that our policies and procedures are fit for purpose and in place to minimise risks to the members and integrity of the Band.
We have also begun to work on Rochdale Borough Safeguarding Children ‘Safe After School’ campaign which is designed to help parents to ask the right questions to enable them to select suitable and safe providers for out of school activities for their children.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I watch the session my child is attending?
- Absolutely! Parents are extremely welcome to stay and observe all our band sessions and instrumental lessons taking place - many of our parents regularly stay to watch and will make you feel very welcome at any rehearsal.
- If your child is performing in a concert with us, we actively encourage you to bring family and friends to enjoy the performance too!
What safeguarding policies and safe working practices do you have in place?
- We have a comprehensive safeguarding policy which also includes information about anti-bullying, e-safety and whistleblowing.
- We have a comprehensive risk assessment which is designed to minimise potential risks to the health and safety of all our members, but in particular youth and vulnerable members.
- We have a code of conduct for adults who work with youth members.
- We thoroughly vet the staff and volunteers who regularly work directly with youth members. This includes reference checks, qualification verification and DBS checks through to ongoing professional development including safeguarding training.
- We keep a record of audiovisual consent for all our members to ensure that no images or video footage of children are used for publicity purposes without prior consent. Audiovisual consent is sought as part of the registration process.
- We keep a register of members at each rehearsal and engagement in case of emergencies.
- We keep a record of emergency contact information for youth members and a record of any medical information we may need to be aware of to keep members safe. (All the information about members that we hold is in compliance with current GDPR legislation, our full policy on data protection can be found here.)
- We have several first aiders available at each rehearsal and at concerts as well as a fully stocked first aid kit and accident book.
I would like more information about what to expect when my child joins the band
- We have a welcome pack for new youth members and potential new members which explains in further detail how our organisation operates.
- We have a facebook page where you can see many of the exciting projects we are currently involved in- you can direct message us for more information via our page too or you can email email@example.com. To speak to someone about your child joining the youth band, please call or text message our youth band manager Louise Crane 07944396136 (outside of school hours) who will be delighted to answer any questions you may have and provide any information that you require.
I have questions or would like to raise a concern
- We are only too happy to discuss any concerns that any of our current youth members, prospective members or their families have, however big or small. If possible please speak to Louise Crane or any of the tutors directly who will be able to answer any queries or concerns that you have or will direct you to someone who can help. You can also message the youth band department manager Louise Crane in the first instance directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com at any time or by phone 07944396136 outside of school hours.
- Our full charitable organisation is managed by a committee, to speak to a member of the management committee, in the first instance please contact the band secretary Aaron Hayes who will be able to assist you: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 375 1816